Okay, so here’s my latest thing: going Veggie Paleo. Have you heard about the Paleo Diet? Well, it’s the same thing, except with a reduced amount of meat, dairy, and eggs for environmental/health purposes.
I don’t follow the diet to the “T,” as it can be really hard to adapt to a highly social lifestyle, but I do try to follow as much as I possibly can. It’s made me feel tons better, and guess what, my husband, who has no food allergies at all, says he feels better too.
So in celebrating the Veggie Paleo diet, I’ll be sharing a couple of super easy recipes that work for me after a long day at work.
Tip: Make sure you buy fresh fish that has not been sitting/melting into a bunch of styrofoam. Bring your own glass/stainless steel container to the market. Pick a safe fish–avoid farm raised fish and large fish (Google “low contamination fish types”).
Grilled Fish with Mango Compote and Boiled Sweet Potato
2 pieces of fish, approximately 100 gms each
Seasoning: sea salt, pepper, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme
3 tablespoons of butter
Compote: half a mango, splash of ume plum vinegar, dash of salt, dash of honey, a few cranberries
Approximately 10 small pieces of sweet potato
1.Turn on oven to approximately 160. I honestly don’t think it is necessary to completely pre-heat for such simple dishes. I turn it on and then place the fish in when I am done prepping.
2. Wash and start to boil the sweet potatoes in just plain water.
3. Prep the fish by rubbing a little butter on the bottom of a baking pan, and then placing small lumps of butter all over fish. On top of the butter place the seasonings.
4. Place fish in the oven for approximately 10 minutes.
5. While fish is cooking, cut one half of a mango. Scrape the side so that the flesh is pulpy and watery. Add the ume plum vinegar, honey, and salt. Adjust to taste.
6. When fish is half way done (5 minute mark), take out and turn over. Make sure the butter spreads evenly.
7. When fish is completely done, take out, and place the compote on top with a few cranberries (try to get low/no sugar cranberries).
8. Serve with halved sweet potatoes with a sliver of butter atop the crevice.